Was going through the Upwork Freelance survey 2017 conducted based on the current American workforce. This survey is conducted by independent research firm Edelman Intelligence and in partnership with Upwork and Freelancers Union, surveyed 6,000 U.S. workers to analyze the size of the growing freelance economy and the major role freelancers play in the future of work. (Upwork, 2017)
Details are intriguing and there are some facts that indicate the freelance growth in the American economy. Thought of sharing few of the interesting points.
- Based on this year’s findings, a majority of the American workforce will freelance by 2027 i.e. 57.3 million in 2017 to 86.5 million in 2027.
- 47% of millennial workers will freelance more than any other generation.
- Freelancers work with on an average 4.5 clients per month.
- Top drivers in freelancing are freedom, flexibility and earning extra money whereas top barriers include income predictability, finding work and benefits that come along.
- 55% of freelancers are preparing for future by improving and updating their skill set.
- 49% of freelancers prefer calling this economy as ” Freelance economy” but not as ” Gig” economy.
- 63% freelancers agree that having diversified income is way more secure than any other income.